Wednesday 9 May 2012

Bib Front Regency Dress


I've been wanting to make a bib front regency dress for a while now.  As Ive had a hard time sleeping this morning I started the research part of the project.

I look at other peoples projects and Janet Arnold's diagrams and extant pieces from the museum collections.






















I'm still not sure how I want to do the bib on the front yet, so I'm just going to mock up a plain one for the time being. so here are some of my drawings for the front closure and bib.



After I did my doodling I traced out my pattern pieces so they where one big bodice.  The pattern I used is the Simplicity 4055 with a lot of modification.



The simplicity pattern is ok but I wanted it more period less costume :)  here is a picture of the first round of alterations.


So here is the first round, I cut it out and stitched it together.  I found that this pattern is not designed for any one with um shall we say boobs... so



It was back to the drawing board for me.  I added 3 inches to the bottom of the bodice pieces and added a dart so it fit better.


I've got the pieces stitched together and tried it on now I have to figure out the details for the bib and find some fabric to make the dress with.  I'll post some more follow up pics tomorrow.


In the mean time I'm open to suggestions/pics for the bib design.




No comments:

Post a Comment